Bacon, Onion and Mushroom Pizza
It’s another pizza night at our house — it’s a great way to end the weekend and also a great way to use up the leftover bacon from Thursday’s quinoa pilaf. This is a sauceless pizza, but I’m sure it would be delicious with barbecue sauce, or roasted garlic spread over the crust. The possibilities are endless.
Bacon, Onion and Mushroom Pizza (from October’s Cooking Light magazine)
- 1 (11-oz.) can refrigerated French Bread dough (or your favorite refrigerated pizza dough)
- 2 tsp. yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 c. vertically sliced onions
- 1 (8-oz.) package pre-sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 c. cheddar and jack cheese blend
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 c. finely chopped parsley
- Shape dough on pan that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat skillet to medium-high heat. Add olive oil, and saute onion about 8 minutes. Place cooked onions in a bowl. Add mushrooms and saute another 8 minutes. Add mushrooms to onion bowl, and toss. Spread mixture over dough. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and bacon.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, and sprinkle with parsley and (optional) chopped scallions. Cut into 12 pieces.
Yield: 6 servings