Sunny Lemon Cookies
Every once in a great while, I get excited to bake cookies. I don’t often like to do really putzy baking stuff, and to me, cookies are the epitome of putziness. This weekend, though, I definitely got in the mood to bake, and I thought it would be a GREAT idea to bake cookies for a few special Valentines, which they will be receiving in the mail in a few short days. I was a bit more ambitious than I should have been, making three types (I had it in my mind to make FOUR types, but after 4 hours in the kitchen, rolling out little balls of dough, I surrendered). My other cookies were just basic oatmeal-with-add-ons, but these sunny lemon cookies — these were something pretty special.
I found the recipe for these lemon cookies from one of my favorite blogs, Gimme Some Oven. I decided to make these not just because they were easy (so easy, you start off with a box of cake mix! Talk about no fuss…), but because a few of my special Valentines really love lemon. They turned out chewy, delicate and delightful — and though I mailed them off, I did save a few for at home. I told Marc he can take them to work, but I will be surprised if they make it that long! 🙂 If you are a lemon lover as well, you MUST make these. I can’t wait to try them again! (I actually have my sights on trying them with the orange cake mix next time.)
Sunny Lemon Cookies
makes about 40 cookies, depending on size
- 1 box lemon cake mix (I used Duncan Hines, but use whatever you see/whatever is on sale)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1/3 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, mix together lemon cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, lemon zest and lemon juice until a dough forms. I did this by hand, and I think the dough really is too thick and to sticky to do it with a beater.
- Form into small balls and roll in powdered sugar. Place cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet
- Bake for 6-9 minutes, until the cookies are fluffy and lightly browned on the bottom.
- Let cookies sit on sheet for 1-2 minutes and transfer to cooling rack.
Voila! Enjoy! I can’t wait to make these again — and soon!