Lentil, Chickpea & Acorn Squash Stew
What a week! Elysabeth and I have been crazy busy with work, with the dog, and with life that we’ve made some of our old stand by items for dinner for most of the week. We’ve had some doctored up veggie burgers, a basic chicken & basil stir fry, and we even ordered out for pizza one night! We shelved a plan for some grilled pork and tomatillo tacos (stay tuned, hopefully, for that one), but I didn’t want to let this one slip. I’ve been enjoying reading Pink of Perfection for the past few months, and this recipe looked quite tasty, very nutritious, and suspiciously short. I had to read it several times this week before I could conclude I had read the 15-20 minute cooking time correctly. We used acorn while they used butternut, but aside from a few very minor alterations and additions this was the same thing. It was quite tasty, very flavorful, and VERY filling. We have at least 4 more servings of leftovers, which is awesome! Enjoy this with a glass of wine and kick back and relax.
Lentil, Chickpea & Acorn Squash Stew (Serves 6):
Adapted from Pink of Perfection
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 large carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch coins
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 acorn squash, top and bottom trimmed, halved, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth (obviously, to make this vegetarian, use veggie broth)
- crushed peanuts
- chopped fresh cilantro
- plain nonfat yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat and add onion and carrots. Cook for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add next 9 ingredients, a healthy pinch of salt, and some black pepper, scraping bottom of pot to loosen any browned bits. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until squash is tender. Stir in lime juice, correct seasonings if necessary, and ladle into bowls.
- Top bowls with cilantro, peanuts, yogurt, and your favorite hot sauce. Enjoy!