Flatbread with Shiitake Mushrooms, Garlic and Ramps
It was supposed to be a pizza.
Ramps, as some of you may know, are a seasonal and very trendy form of wild leek which are only available for a very short (like 2-3 weeks) period of the spring. I wanted to take a crack at using them this week, and I figured a pizza would be the most straightforward way to integrate them into a dish while still highlighting their fresh flavor. I washed them as best as I could, given our water situation, and then cut up the bottoms and tops separately. The bottoms went into the mushroom sauté, and I kept the tops coarsely chopped to go on top.
Was it good? Eh. It lacked some flavor, which I think could have come from adding a secondary, saltier cheese like Romano, or by actually including a tomato-based sauce instead of just olive oil. Next time I’ll do better, and figure out a better way to make the ramps stand out.
But, for now, I’m calling it a flatbread!
Flatbread with Shiitake Mushrooms, Garlic and Ramps (Serves 4)
- 1 bunch ramps, cleaned, bottoms trimmed, whites chopped, greens coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 5-6 Shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 4 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and shallot to pan, swirling to keep things moving for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 more minutes. Add ramp bottoms and cook for another minute. Season with a big pinch of salt and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Rub 1 tbsp olive oil on pizza crust. Distribute mushroom mixture evenly across crust, and then drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp of oil. Cover pizza with Mozzarella, and cook for 7-8 minutes or until cheese starts to brown. Add ramp tops to pizza, cover with a small sprinkle of cheese and put back in oven for another few minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes and cut into slices. Adjust seasonings as desired and enjoy!