One of the blogs I read, (never home)maker featured this awesome pie a couple of weeks ago. I decided when I saw it, that I REALLY wanted to make it. Not only does it feature Nutella, which I really love, but it includes silken tofu, a little secret ingredient that gives the pie filling a little “pudding” texture and taste. We got a huge box of strawberries at Market Basket this weekend, that added garnish and a little tang.
The tofu might seem like an odd addition to pie, but it’s really incredible. There’s no “tofu taste” — and whipping up the filling is so very easy. It’s sort of like a Jello No-Bake Cheesecake, but much more grown-up. The only complaint I have about this pie is that it would be *very* hard for one of us to transport any of the leftovers to work on Monday. We might have to just eat it ourselves, over the course of the week. Oh well — right? 🙂
I made this pie this afternoon, and it was incredibly easy to do. I would definitely consider making this again, even for a book club!
adapted from (never home)maker
- 1 c. flour
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. raw sugar
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together dry ingredients in a bowl. Add liquid ingredients and combine until wet yet crumbly.
- Spray a 9″ pie pan with cooking spray. Press the crust dough into pan evenly. You will want the crust to rise a little on the pie pan sides.
- Bake crust for 13 – 15 minutes until the crust is firm.
- Let crust cool completely before adding filling. This will take a while — so be patient!
- 1 block of silken tofu
- 6 ounces of Nutella (about half a regular-sized jar)
- 3 oz. milk chocolate
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 3-5 strawberries, sliced (for topping)
- Process all the filling ingredients (except for strawberries!) in the food processor until smooth. Make sure to take the time to pause the food processor every now and again you’ll need to scrape the sides. If you want to add more honey or Nutella, feel free.
- After the pie crust has cooled, add the filling.
- Allow pie to set in refrigerator for at least an hour.