Japanese Tofu Skewers with Soba Noodles
We are feverishly attempting to get through the last 3 seasons of Mad Men so that we can start to watch the new season with everyone else and stay current. This is perfect activity for a lazy Sunday, because it is hot out and only getting hotter, and with only very minor tasks to do otherwise (laundry, dog walks, etc.) we have the day open to enjoy such a task!
This recipe is actually something we put together when Elysabeth’s brother was in town a few weeks ago, but I hadn’t gotten around to posting this until today. We were blessed with Christian’s photographic abilities, which far outshine our own, as well as this recipe, which he brought to our attention. It gave me an opportunity to cook up some soba noodles and serve them cold in a zippy sauce, which is totally my jam. I also love to marinate and grill tofu, and the scallions, mushrooms, and sesame flavors just sealed the deal. This wasn’t terribly tough or time-consuming, and can easily work on a weeknight. Please enjoy.
Japanese Tofu Skewers with Soba Noodles (Serves 3-4)
Adapted from Sunset
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 brick extra-firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes, and pressed to drain
- 5-6 shiitake mushroom caps, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 scallions, cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths
- 12 oz. dried soba noodles
- 8 small radishes, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tsp (or more if desired) prepared wasabi paste
- juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Mix soy sauce, mirin, and sesame oil in a bowl. Add tofu chunks and marinate at least 15 minutes.
- Boil a large pot of water. In the meantime, toss mushrooms in vegetable oil in a bowl to coat.
- Drain tofu, reserve marinade and mix in wasabi, broth, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Set aside marinade. Skewer tofu, scallions, and mushrooms onto skewers and chop leftover scallions.
- Boil noodles for 1-2 minutes or until *just* al dente. Drain and rinse well with cold water and toss with a small amount of oil to keep from sticking.
- Oil grate of grill and grill skewers until tofu is browned and mushrooms are cooked.
- Pour reserved marinade, over noodles and divide evenly into bowls. Garnish bowls with radish slices and leftover scallions.
- Serve skewers along-side bowls, drizzle lightly with sesame oil and scatter sesame seeds over plate. Serve immediately.