Chicken Shawarma Rollups
Today we went into a less-common territory, the Middle Eastern flavors, or more specifically, the flavors of Lebanon. This is a take on the traditional Shawarma, with a few needed and some merely convenient changes. We obviously have no spit, so we grilled our tasty yogurt-marinated chicken over high heat on our indoor grill, but the flavors were so bright and full. The sandwiches are usually served with the garlic sauce called Toum, but I decided (for reasons of ease, health, and specifically the contents of the pantry) to make some good old Tehina sauce. Finally, we decided to wrap the sandwiches with lavash bread instead of pita for some added flavor. Feel free to have fun with the various crunchy vegetables. Any type will do, and don’t be shy with raw onions or various types of pickles. Don’t forget to bring some foil to the party to wrap up the final products so they don’t leak all over your table!
Chicken Shawarma Rollups (Serves 4)
Adapted from about.com
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. allspice or Jamaican jerk seasoning
- juice of one lemon
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- juice of 1 lemon
- hot water, for thinning
- kosher salt
- 4 whole loaves lavash
- sliced tomato
- thinly sliced red bell pepper
- pickle spears
- chopped parsley
- 24 hours in advance (or more, up to 3-4 days), marinate chicken pieces and refrigerate in covered container. Shake container twice a day to mix things up.
- Prepare grill over very high heat (for electric or gas) or with a direct and indirect cooking surface (for charcoal). Wipe excess marinade off chicken pieces and cook until charred on the outside and thoroughly cooked through. Remove chicken to cutting board and cover loosely with foil to rest for at least 5-10 minutes. Discard marinade.
- Slice chicken on bias, into extremely thin pieces.
- Spread tehina in thin layer on lavash, end to end. Divide chicken and vegetables evenly over wraps, sprinkle on parsley, and drizzle extra sauce on top. Add hot sauce if desired, roll up sandwiches and wrap with foil. Enjoy immediately.