Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs
Brr! It is FREEZING outside! Today I had a day off from work, and spent the day running a few errands and more or less spending time relaxing at home with the dog. It was a nice way to start a busy week, and I’m glad I got to spend a little time cooking and preparing dinner as well as a few meals for the rest of the week.
This recipe came up on my reader the other day, and it seemed really neat! I’ve never cooked spaghetti squash before, and this looked like a good opportunity to make a play on a classic dish. It’s healthier, and just has filling, as a big bowl of pasta, and paired with a basic sauce and some zesty turkey meatballs it made a tasty meal to start the week. Please enjoy.
Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs (Serves 3-4)
- 1 2 lb. spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes w/basil
- 1 tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1/2 lb. ground turkey
- 1 egg
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper
- Trim ends of squash, and cut in half. Spoon out seeds, put cut-side up in large microwave-safe bowl, add 1/4″ inch water to dish, cover loosely and microwave on high for 15-20 minutes. Let cool.
- While squash is steaming, heat 1 tbsp. of the oil in medium saucepan over medium heat, and add half of the garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook for about 1 minute and add tomato paste. Cook for another 30 seconds, then add crushed tomatoes, dry seasoning and (optionally) 1 tbsp. sugar. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer for 20 minutes, covered. Leave sauce on low to stay warm.
- Mix parmesan, remaining garlic, parsley, breadcrumbs, and milk in a medium bowl with wooden spoon. Add egg and turkey and mix thoroughly with hands. Divide mixture, divide the halves, and divide those halves again and form into 8 meatballs.
- Heat remaining oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, and brown meatballs, 4 at a time. Turn frequently to brown evenly, but do not cook through all the way. Once all 8 meatballs are browned, add to sauce and cook until the meatballs are cooked through, another 10 minutes or so.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, scrape insides with a fork to form thin strands and scoop into a serving bowl. Serve squash in wide bowls, covered with sauce and 2-3 meatballs. Garnish with parsley and extra cheese.