Avocado and Black Bean Salad
It is a cold, cold night here in Beantown. We traded our weekly snow and ice fiasco for a bone-chilling cold with intense winds for the past few days. Because of that, we are taking every opportunity to stay inside and cook good food! Elysabeth found this recipe from Ina Garten on the Food Network website and it was a perfect easy recipe for a Monday night, before she had to travel for work and the air was buzzing with packing and preparation. It’s very much like a guacamole recipe, but it’s a bit chunkier and features black beans and sweet grape tomatoes. It comes together in a snap and can be as spicy as you want, depending on how you handle the jalapenos. Any time you want to enjoy some fresh flavors with low effort, make this!
Avocado and Black Bean Salad (Serves 2-3)
Adapted from Ina Garten
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, trimmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded as desired, minced finely
- 1 lime, zested and juiced, separated
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place the tomatoes, yellow pepper, black beans, onion, chiles, and lime zest in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together all other ingredients except the avocados, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad.
- Just before serving, stir in avocado and serve immediately.