Korean-style Chicken Tacos
Hello everyone! It’s finally getting cold outside. It’s been in the 40s in the morning, and we have all of the windows closed up. I’m hoping we can make another 2-3 weeks before we turn the heat on, and it’s been nice to wear sweaters, and snuggle up under the covers with my sweetie! I was looking around online today, and found that my old roommate/friend Leigh Ann Stewart has a new food blog called Nomapotamus. She has a few posts up so far, but it’s looking great!
These tacos are a tweaked version of a popular style of taco that has taken the world by storm: Kogi. The people who run this food truck in the LA area have really started something. I could be wrong, but I believe this eatery is directly responsible for starting the modern food truck craze that has spread across the US. Many imitators and competitors have sprung up all over the country, and the mobile food truck craze shows no signs of slowing down. I have not gotten to try one of these myself, but recently one of our local burrito purveyors called Boloco has introduced a similarly-flavored burrito as a special, aptly named the Korean BBQ Burrito.
This burrito comes with a very tasty sauce, some spicy pickled cucumbers, and a vinegary slaw. I wanted to strive to replicate these flavors at home, and luckily, I found a great recipe here that took me almost all the way there. I made up a quick slaw to go on top, and served the tacos alongside a number of Banchan (Korean side dishes) that we picked up the other day at Hmart. Enjoy!
Korean-style Chicken Tacos (Serves 4)
- 2 tbsp. gochujang (Korean fermented chile paste)
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 1 english cucumber, sliced very thinly
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. dark sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. sriracha
- 1 lb. shredded cooked chicken
- 8 warmed tortillas
- Combine pickle ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Combine all slaw ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- To assemble tacos, put 2 tbsp. of chicken in each tortilla, top with sauce, pickles, and slaw. Roll up if desired and chow down!