Sugar Cookie Bars
It’s Super Bowl Sunday, and while Wisconsin’s beloved Green Bay Packers are not in the Super Bowl, the New England Patriots are. Marc and I are invited to a Super Bowl party at his new boss’ house, and we have to “shine it on”, as we cheer for another team! It’s been ages since I have been to an epic Super Bowl party, though I do feel that tonight’s will fall into the “epic” category. I am definitely looking forward to it, and of course had to bring a recipe to share for tonight.
I found this great recipe on Pinterest, which linked me to the website, A Little Bit Crunchy, A Little Bit Rock and Roll. I figured this would be a crowd pleaser, given the fact that there will be lots of kids around, AND, who doesn’t love a sugar cookie, really? Also, I will use the party as an opportunity to let people know that this is my very firs attempt at homemade frosting, and I am beyond pleased and how it turned out. Now, I certainly don’t think that this recipe is very GOOD for you, but given the fact that Super Bowl Sunday is about excess, it is definitely a good fit.
Sugar Cookie Bars
Recipe for Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 5 c. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
3. Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
4. Add the vanilla to the creamed mixture and then slowly add the dry ingredients.
5. Press into a greased 13 x 18 inch jelly roll pan and bake at 375F for 10-15 minutes.
6. Cool and frost (see directions below).
Recipe for Frosting
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- pinch salt
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp. milk
- Sprinkles (optional)
1. In a mixing bowl, beat the shortening and butter until creamy.
2. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar.
3. Gradually add the 5 tablespoons of milk until you reach your desired constancy.
4. Add sprinkles to frosting generously! Cut and enjoy.